Re: Me no understand scoping

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Me no understand scoping
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 18:43:37 +0100

2008/8/1 Maciek Godek <address@hidden>:

> I can't tell you precisely (because I don't know myself).
> It's just that whenever I try to do something in scheme,
> I end up with questions of that sort. (Maybe the thing is
> that I try to write as little code as possible -- the prettiness
> and simplicity of scheme convinces me to do so).
>
> I'm currently working on a little project (in my spare time). [...]

Many thanks for providing this description.  The project looks fun, so
I hope it continues to go well.

A few thoughts occurred to me when reading through.

1. IMO this could be really beautifully done in GOOPS, by defining
custom metaclasses and slot types.

2. You say that your protocol is lisp-ish.  I have found it really
useful, both in GDS and in another client/server project, to express
the protocol entirely in lisp forms.  Simply because this means that
you can use `read' to read exactly one protocol instruction; no
parsing required!

3. It's still not obvious to me how this ends up using the-environment
and local-eval.  If class variables never interact directly with the
real environment, they could be just stored in a hash table..

> PS gdm rocks! (thankyouthankyouthankyou!! it really did change
> my way of writing the code)

Do you mean GDS?  If so, thanks for your thanks!

Regards,
         Neil