Re: Guile release planning

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Guile release planning
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:11:19 +0100

Hi Han-Wen,

On Wed 12 Nov 2008 05:41, Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:

> One angle that we could take is time based release planning, like GNOME and
> Fedora do: plan to do one or two releases per year on a rigid
> schedule.

With GNOME there is also a difference, as you know: they do not add API
in micro series, only in minor series, and never change the API or ABI
in incompatible ways. While that should be our intent, it's quite a
burden for a language implementation that exposes as much of its guts as
Guile does.

I think we should preserve Guile's ability to change API or ABI
incompatibly (while providing shims: next mail).

Releasing more often would be great, though.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/