Re: Unspecified?

From: Jon Wilson
Subject: Re: Unspecified?
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:02:54 -0500

Andy Wingo wrote:
Yes and no; R5RS has this to say:

    If the value of an expression is said to be "unspecified," then the
    expression must evaluate to some object without signalling an error,
    but the value depends on the implementation; this report explicitly
    does not say what value should be returned.

In practice, in all situations in which R5RS defines a result as
unspecified, those values will be `eq?' to `(if #f #f)'.

For Guile, yes. But an R5RS conforming Scheme might well return a unique value for every expression whose value is unspecified. (display "unspecified") might return 5, or "unspecified", or a pink and white unicorn whale. But Guile is kind to us, and always returns the same value as is returned by (if #f #f), namely, *unspecified*.

I know you already know all this, Andy.  I'm just running my mouth off.
Regards,
Jon