guile history: your input needed!

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: guile history: your input needed!
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:00:22 +0100

Hey Guilers!

Many (most?) of you have been at this guile thing for longer than I
have, some of you from the very beginning. While doing some
reorganizations to the manual to get the VM docs in [0], I realized that
a big missing piece of our public narrative is our history. So in the
final chapter of the manual, we'll say something about where we came
from.

[0] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/7804

I was also inspired in this idea by Dybvig's excellent "History of
Chez Scheme" paper[1].

[1] http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~dyb/pubs/hocs.pdf

Anyway, so one of the problems of writing down our history is that I
don't know all of it. That's where you come in! Here's a skeletal
outline for a section on guile's history. What do you think are the
important things to mention in each of the subsections? (Does the
organization make sense?) Please respond to the list so we can all see
what's up.

Thanks in advance!

@c -*-texinfo-*-
@c This is part of the GNU Guile Reference Manual.
@c Copyright (C)  2008
@c   Free Software Foundation, Inc.
@c See the file guile.texi for copying conditions.

@node A Brief History of Guile
@section A Brief History of Guile

@menu
* In the Beginning There Was Emacs::
* The Tcl Wars::
* Early Days::
* Adolescence::
* Maturity::
@end menu

@node In the Beginning There Was Emacs
@subsection In the Beginning, There Was Emacs

(here we talk of the nature of "scripting languages")

@node The Tcl Wars
@subsection The ``Tcl Wars''

leading to the tcl wars

@node Early Days
@subsection Early Days

The naming (scheme, plan, connive -> guile)

GEL -> GUILE -> Guile

Multilingual vision

@node Adolescence
@subsection Adolescence