Re: 1+ is not R5RS

From: Linas Vepstas
Subject: Re: 1+ is not R5RS
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:34:02 -0600

2008/12/19 Bertalan Fodor <address@hidden>:
> Thank you for your suggestion. I was thinking for a long time about these,
> and still I'm not convinced (by myself :-)) to use these projects. The
> little pecularities of these I think would make the effort as hard as
> creating a new one. Sisc's implementation was extremely complicated for my
> simple mind, so I'm using JScheme for some ideas.
> Also I wanted to learn by doing - I think this argument in itself is enough
> :-)

Well, be careful. Your email -- to paraphrase -- sounds like:
"I want to learn how to build a skyscraper, and I am going to
start from scratch, using a hammer, nails and wood."  If you
really want to learn how to build a skyscraper, you go work
on a real one for a while -- where you find out why they use
steel and other such difficult-to-manipulate, "extremely
complicated" techniques which your simple-mind
(hammer-n-nails) has difficulty with.

Its a different kind of learning, less rewarding at first -- it can
take years before you are confident enough to make large
changes to the core design -- but its a better kind of learning
in the long run.

--linas