Re: SCM_SUBSTRP in guile 1.8.6

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: SCM_SUBSTRP in guile 1.8.6
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 08:47:41 -0700

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 17:27 +0200, Didier Godefroy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After installing a patched up guile 1.8.6 and trying to compile autogen
> 5.9.7 it seems an old issue is popping up.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg00361.html
>
> So SCM_SUBSTRP and a few others would've been deprecated and removed from
> recent guile versions. This prevents compiling autogen.
>
> I saw something about SCM_DEBUG_DEPRECATED but can't make head or tails of
> it.
>
> What would be an appropriate fix for this?

This is more likely to do with what you mentioned in the previous e-mail
about autogen thinking you were running Guile 1.4.  Autogen is smart
enough to know not to use SCM_SUBSTRP for Guile-1.8.x.

So maybe the real quesion is probably why would Autogen think you are
running Guile-1.4.

Autogen probably gets its idea about the version of guile by running a
script called guile-config (or sometime pkg-config)

Try running "guile-config --version".  If it exists, it should report
the version of guile you are using.  If it doesn't report the version of
guile that you are using, and it is returning 1.4.x, you probably have
an old version in your path.  Maybe you installed two versions of guile
(like in both /usr and /usr/local or /var or whatever) and the 1.4
version of guile-config is winning.

Good luck,

Mike Gran