Re: Guile and ucontext

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Guile and ucontext
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 10:58:16 +0100

Fredrik Tolf <address@hidden> writes:

>> > top and bottom of a single stack per pthread, and since I'm switching
>> > stack pointer between the original stack at the top of the process to
>> > heap-allocated stacks, it would try to mark data words from almost the
>> > entire process space when GC'ing.
>>
>> I'm afraid I don't understand this.  Are you changing the whole stack
>> of an existing thread?
>
> Well, yes. It is hard for me to think of how I would switch contexts
> without switching stacks as well. :)

Sure, I understand that.  But I was struggling to understand what you
said about "try to mark data words from almost the entire process
space when GC'ing".  Guile knows the top and bottom of every stack
that is in Guile mode, and marks from top..bottom of each stack; never
from the top of one stack to the bottom of another one.  So I don't
see how it could arise that Guile would try to mark almost the entire
process space.  Can you explain that further?

Regards,
        Neil