Re: Guile.el

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Guile.el
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:22:25 +0100

Dmitry Dzhus <address@hidden> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>> The "new debugging support" mentioned in 1.8.5's `NEWS' is GDS (info
>> "(guile) Using Guile in Emacs"), which allows users to evaluate Scheme
>> code, single-step through it, display backtraces, etc.
>
>> You may also want to look at Geiser, as was already mentioned.  It
>> provides a REPL, autodoc (documentation of the object at point), smart
>> completion, and more.
>
> I wonder if something can be hacked for Guile to make it work with
> SLIME. Somehow this GDS thing seems to resemble SLIME to me. Amirite?

In general terms, yes.  GDS, SLIME and Geiser are all in the same
ballpark.

I don't like NIH syndrome, so I'd happily allow GDS to wither if there
was a generic Scheme/Emacs debugging and autodoc etc. environment that
could do all the same things.

I'm afraid I haven't looked at SLIME or Geiser enough in detail yet,
but there are two things about GDS that I think are significantly
different.

1. Using the trap callouts from Guile's evaluator.  As opposed - I
guess - to instrumenting and reevaluating the code that you want to
step through.  Given the move towards the VM though, this point is
very much in flux now.

2. Not relying on standard input and output for communication with the
Guile process that is being debugged.  I think this is important,
because apps often use standard input and output for other things!

Regards,
        Neil