Re: calling scheme procedures by name from C

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: calling scheme procedures by name from C
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:37:49 +0200

Linas Vepstas wrote:
 -- so does anyone know who wrote it
and where/what it is meant to be?

I don't get what you are saying ...
at the bottom of your URL it says clearly:
 "I wrote this page because ... etc
Copyright (c) 2000 David Drysdale
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify ...
GNU Free Documentation License,

Stupid me, I did miss that...

If that's no problem with the original author, I'd volunteer to rework the
tutorial for the new Guile API.

Well, with the GFDL, you don't have to contact the original author.
You can hack away at it as desired.

You're right of course, I feel silly :$

Or maybe write some other tutorial in the
same style just with another example (that maybe does not use X functions
but something more basic).

Yeah, X examples are rather anachronistic.  I dunno, an OpenGL
version might be fun.  Imagine .. 3D programming in scheme ..!
it would not be a bad idea, I don't think.

Hm... Maybe allowing to build a simple 3D scene, like:

(define x (make-scene))
(add-sphere x '(1 2 3) 5 'red)

But I fear this makes the backend code a lot more complicated than is good for this purpose; and the OpenGL code probably gets also lengthier than the X one (though I'm not an expert with OpenGL).

Anyway, doing something interactive would be appropriate --
something vaguely enjoyable when its done.  Maybe a simple
fractal explorer?

Fractal Explorer sounds nice, and I'd use Gtk+ as "graphics library" for it. On the other hand, I also quite like keeping the original "logo" package; with the interactive fractal explorer, I don't see much one could do with it apart from zooming/moving with Scheme commands. For the logo package, one can, for instance, quite elegantly construct a Koch curve with a recursive Scheme function -- I don't know if the existing tutorial does this, but I quite like this idea and it would give a "nice" example where scripting with Guile is really useful and produces a cool result.

So I favour keeping it but maybe really switching the backend to Gtk+ from X. Or do you have some other ideas for a good example project?

I'm looking forward to trying my hands on this ;)

Yours,
Daniel

--
Done:  Arc-Bar-Cav-Ran-Rog-Sam-Tou-Val-Wiz
To go: Hea-Kni-Mon-Pri