Re: Building guile on MSYS/MinGW - issue with pthread use

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Building guile on MSYS/MinGW - issue with pthread use
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 22:27:06 +0100

Gareth Edwards <address@hidden> writes:

> pthread.h defines timespec like this:
>
> #ifndef HAVE_STRUCT_TIMESPEC
> #define HAVE_STRUCT_TIMESPEC 1
> struct timespec {
>         long tv_sec;
>         long tv_nsec;
> };
> #endif /* HAVE_STRUCT_TIMESPEC */
>
> So, presumably, configure tests for timespec, it doesn't have
> HAVE_STRUCT_TIMESPEC set. Test passes, and then config.h then gets
>
> /* Define this if your system defines struct timespec via either <time.h> or
>    <pthread.h>. */
> #define HAVE_STRUCT_TIMESPEC 1

My belief is that this was fixed by commit
d6818567553aafdbbbca327d4a1b1289a6816858:

    Fix MinGW HAVE_STRUCT_TIMESPEC build problem

    Reported by Carlo Bramini.  See the comment in _scm.h.

    * THANKS: Add Carlo Bramini.

    * libguile/_scm.h: Undefine HAVE_STRUCT_TIMESPEC.

Can you explain why this isn't working for you?

Also, MinGW building of 1.8.x is successful for me; see the latest log
at http://www.ossau.uklinux.net/guile/snapshots.

> But now, when config.h is included before pthread.h, this has the
> effect of hiding this declaration in the pthread.h file, so the guile
> build breaks.

threads.c includes config.h - which defines HAVE_STRUCT_TIMESPEC -
then _scm.h - which undefines it - and then later pthread.h, so it
should be fine.

Regards,
        Neil