Re: How to flush history ?

From: Roberto Rosetti
Subject: Re: How to flush history ?
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:01:35 +0200

On  friday, 14/08/2009 alle 22.39 +0100, Neil Jerram writes:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm wondering how to flush the recent readline history to a file. I need
> > this
> > feature for an educational project.
> > The purpose is to permit the REPL user to save his entire history with a
> > simple
> Hi Roberto,
>
> The readline history is already saved to a file, ~/.guile_history.
> Does that provide what you need?
>
> (I'm not sure offhand if it is saved after every line is entered, or
> when you quit Guile; but maybe that difference is not important for
> you anyway.)

>      Neil

Well, thanks for the answer Neil. I know about the existence of
~/.guile_history, but my problem is more complex: I need a hook to the
history buffer, like a port or something. A way to flush the history to
its file at a given command. Just to grab everything written before and
then manipulate (a copy of) the history file.
For the moment, I've written a simple wrapper for readline, that process
the input and save every command to a specific text file, after checking
it for correctness.
An alternate solution may be to change the GUILE_HISTORY envrironment
variable at run-time, but I thing it's not an elegant solution at all.

Rob

--

Roberto Rosetti

OpenPGP Public key: 30575161