Re: Guile Build Errors

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile Build Errors
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 14:38:50 +0200

Hello,

bornlibra23 <address@hidden> writes:

> I am trying to compile guile-1.8.7 on Stratus Open VOS.

Woow, I had never seen this one, thanks for trying out.  ;-)

Can you post the GNU triplet as returned by `./build-aux/config.guess'?

> I am able to build it successfully but the following errors while testing
> have left me perplexed. I am totally new to guile. Please suggest.
> PASS: test-system-cmds
> ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
> ERROR: file: "libguile-srfi-srfi-1-v-3", message: "file not found"

Can you show the output of
"grep -A2 -E '(libtool supports|shared lib)' config.log" (assuming
GNU grep here)?

It may be that Libtool decided not to build shared libraries, in which
case module loading may not work.

> ERROR: In procedure string-append:
> ERROR: Wrong type (expecting string): #<freed cell 400876c0; GC missed a
> reference>
> FAIL: test-bad-identifiers

It shows that there's something wrong GC-wise.  It could be that the
stack is not correctly scanned on this platform.

Could you try to reproduce the problem with a simple test case, e.g., by
running `./pre-inst-guile' and trying

  (begin
    (string-append (make-string 123) (make-string 123))
    (gc))

and variants thereof to try to trigger the problem?

You may want to look at `libguile/gc_os_dep.c' to see how it determines
the stack and whether it makes sense?

You might need to add a new series of #ifdefs, possibly borrowed from
upstream libgc
(http://bdwgc.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/bdwgc/bdwgc/os_dep.c?revision=1.42&view=markup).

> 6 of 16 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden

Can you also try `./check-guile' and report back?

Thanks,
Ludo'.