Guile-Syscalls 0.5 available

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Guile-Syscalls 0.5 available
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 17:08:41 +0200

release notes:

  This is a maintenance release, and the last one, as well, for this
  package.  Functionality has moved to ttn-do (and compatibly extended):
  http://www.gnuvola.org/software/ttn-do/ttn-do.html.gz#zz-sys-linux_002dgnu

  The directory <http://www.gnuvola.org/software/guile-syscalls/>
  will be removed after 2010-03-31.

  Speaking of ttn-do (publicly and tangentially, that is), its NEWS
  is now a sliding window instead of only the latest.  See top-level
  GNUmakefile var `rellog' and target `dist' for the implementation.
  (I mention this because somewhere in the back of my mind there is a
  chat fragment with Andy Wingo some months ago re ChangeLog generation
  on "make dist" and this brings partial closure to that.)

  As for the connection between Guile-Syscalls and ttn-do, the procs
  `iovec', `writev' and `readv' are central to the X protocol i/o
  manager in module (ttn-do zzz x-protocol).  I tend to think these
  should be moved into Guile proper.  IIUC, they are POSIX, after all:
  http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/sys/uio.h.html

  thi

README excerpt:

  This directory contains Guile-Syscalls, a set of modules
  that expose to Guile 1.4.x a selection of the operating
  system programming interface (known as the syscalls).

NEWS excerpt:

  - 0.5 | 2009-09-30
    - license now GPLv3+ (see COPYING)
    - doc/build touchups