Re: A variable that holds a string which may be the name of a variable.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: A variable that holds a string which may be the name of a variable.
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:00:48 +0000

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 18:56 +0000, Neil Jerram wrote:
> Linas Vepstas <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > 2009/12/2 Neil Jerram <address@hidden>:
> > Neil,
> >
> > For my own edification -- is tehre any difference between
> >
> >>  (let ((sym (with-input-from-string mything read)))
> >
> > and
> >
> > (let ((sym (string->symbol mything)))
>
> In the case where mything is a string consisting of symbol syntax
> characters, no.

In fact, I was somewhat interested that it should be fairly bomb proof
to the contents of mything. So I tried Neil's code on various dangerous
looking things...
I hadn't spotted string->symbol, else I might have got there unaided; I
had a hazy idea that that was what I was trying to do. Gradually the
mists are clearing - thank you.

Richard