Re: A minor name improvement suggestion to Guile API

From: Keith Wright
Subject: Re: A minor name improvement suggestion to Guile API
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:05:03 -0500

> From: address@hidden (Ludovic =?iso-8859-1?Q?Court=E8s?=)
> Cc: address@hidden

> > well, the API is controlled by the scheme steering committee,
>
> AIUI he's talking about the Scheme-to-C API mapping, which is not
> controlled by "the committee".

Furthermore, I think the proposal has been over truncated.

Original:

> From: Yi DAI <address@hidden>

> reference manual:
>
>    - Replace < (less than) with _less.
>    - Replace > (greater than) with _gr.
>
> I'd like to suggest the following name convention

So as I understand, the proposal is:

Currently, the variables that Scheme programmers know as
|<| and |>|, are called in C _less and _gr.

Propose to rename the C variables so that |<| and |>|
are called in C *_lt* and and *_gt*, respectively.

I'm not sure whether the asterisks are meant to
be part of the name.  This seems good to me; what
was the programmer thinking that made it seem
good to have asymmetric identifers for
|<| and |>|?  The names .LT. and .GT. go back
to the Fortran of the late fifties.

Whether it is worth the trouble to change,
I don't know, but if I were planning to use
this more than once or twice, I would rename
it myself in my own code.

   -- Keith