Re: request: libguile to wrap getsid(2)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: request: libguile to wrap getsid(2)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:46:39 +0000

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> I've just about finished porting ratpoison (a CVS snapshot prior to its
> author's abandoning it in favor of stumpwm) to Guile (1.4.x) scheme.
> This means no more Xlib (et al)!

Cool.  (I like ratpoison, and I wasn't aware it had been abandoned.  A
Guile-enabled ratpoison would be great.)

> However, the last bit of C glue (outside of ttn-do) it needs is getsid(2).
> Here is the Guile 1.4.x-flavored wrapping:
>
>   GH_DEFPROC
>   (rpx_getsid, "getsid", 1, 0, 0,
>    (SCM pid),
>    doc: /***********
>   Return the session id associated with @var{pid}.  */)
>   {
>     return gh_int2scm (getsid (gh_scm2int (pid)));
>   }
>
> I'm sure it would be no trouble to adapt this to other Guile versions.
> This function will go into Guile 1.4.1.119, so i'm hereby requesting
> that a future Guile 1.9.x include it, as well.  This way, i can release
> rpx (working name of the port -- kind of like "ratpoison exhumed") with
> only ttn-do as its dependency, and no C bits whatsoever.

No problem, I'll add this.  Can you point to a specific 1.4.x commit, to
help with any extra bits that are needed, e.g. anything in configure.ac?

> "But ttn, why do you care about any Guile other than 1.4.x?"
>
> Well, why not?

Well, indeed.  Let's make 2010 the year of repairing our divisions...

With Guile 1.9.x/2.0, we have a fantastic new base system that I think
will serve us well for some years.  With that in place, it would be
great to pull together all the Guile apps and extensions that are out
there, and showcase them working together and doing interesting things.
Plus, as far as possible, I hope we can find ways of making everything
work with older versions of Guile too.

> thi

Regards,
      Neil