Re: mod_lisp support for guile-www

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: mod_lisp support for guile-www
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:29:07 +0000

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> After a quick skim of the patch, it seems to me the core modlisp support is
> rather straightforward.  I like how you extended `big-dishing-loop'.  Perhaps
> that can be pushed out even further so that the (Guile-WWW) user can define
> other protocols.  We would run the danger of stepping on serveez's toes, but
> maybe that project won't mind so much...

Thanks for your time looking at this.

Would it really be stepping on their toes?  AFAICT they only use Guile
for configuration, whereas Guile-WWW's purpose is to provide function to
Guile applications.

> On the subject of expansions and contractions (as they relate to Guile-WWW),
> i've been thinking of moving the repo to savannah and looking for a co- (or
> perhaps replacement) maintainer, to ensure its longevity and encourage mixing
> w/ other code.  I foresee my interest in it fading, and it deserves better.
>
> Since we are in related communication, i crassly exploit the opportunity to
> ask directly: Would you like to take over Guile-WWW maintenance?

I think my personal preference would be not to maintain it as an
individual package, but to roll it into the Guile distribution.  Would
you be happy with that?

I note that Guile-WWW's license is GPLv3+, whereas the Guile
distribution as a whole is LGPLv3+.  I'm not sure if that's a problem or
not; I think I remember hearing that there are already other pieces of
code that came from guile-library and that have different licenses.

Ludo, do you know the formal position on this?

Thanks,
        Neil