Re: Reconsideration of MinGW work

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Reconsideration of MinGW work
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 00:20:27 +0000

Linas Vepstas <address@hidden> writes:

> My pet peeve with mingw is the lack of ready-to-go regex. This is completely
> unrelated to guile; I have another project that made the mistake of assuming
> that regex "just worked" on windows, and I've been bitched at ever
> since.

Gnulib has a regex library.

> Getting regex into mingw and having it "just work" would be excellent.

But that won't happen, because that's not part of MinGW's mission.  All
MinGW is trying to do is provide a free software toolset for building
native Windows programs - which at runtime will link to the standard set
of DLLs that M$ provides.  Those DLLs don't provide regex, so the MinGW
header files don't provide regex either.

      Neil