Plotting in Guile

From: Joel James Adamson
Subject: Plotting in Guile
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:21:40 -0400

Hello,

I am using Guile to iterate equations and produce trajectories from
those iterations.  My current strategy is to redirect the stdout to a
file and then use GNUPLOT to plot the trajectories as parametric
plots.  However, I would like to contain everything within one program,
to keep Makefiles simple and (ideally) only deal with one programming
language for the project.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

1. Is there is a plotting extension for guile, or a library that I could
use in such a way?  The advantage of GNUPLOT is that it can produce many
different kinds of output, including SVG and Pstricks code.  If a
plotting module exists, I haven't found it yet.

2. My thoughts were that I could use the POSIX IPC modules available in
Guile to run GNUPLOT and send commands through a pipe or other
appropriate interface.  Despite knowing little of how IPC works or the
best way to accomplish this, I always like to learn something new.  Does
this sound like it's worthwhile or like it would work at all?

Thanks,

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson