Re: Plotting in Guile

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Plotting in Guile
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:45:54 +0200

On 28 Jul 2010, at 19:54, Joel James Adamson wrote:

GNUPLOT seems to require pipes, if not using a file.

The question from the IPC newbie (myself): is there something wrong with
pipes?  I've read a basic tutorial and they seem to do what I would
need, but the author seemed to think they were worthless.  Educate me.

I'm no expert, but pipes are simple and effective, though somewhat limited, as one program must be the descendant of another. Bison uses a pipe to call M4, which works just fine, and you have a similar application. Earlier, it used the writing file variation, and there is a problem with cleanup.

2. My thoughts were that I could use the POSIX IPC modules available
in
Guile to run GNUPLOT and send commands through a pipe or other
appropriate interface.

Guile has a command scm_pipe() (see manual). It is not difficult to
link to C-code - that is a point of using Guile.

So would I write a C program to handle the IPC between guile and
GNUPLOT, and then control it with Scheme?

Guile has both scm_pipe() to use in a C program, and pipe to use in Scheme code. So you might try calling it directly. If you turn GNUPLOT into a library, you can link it directly to Guile.

  Hans