Re: json parser

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: json parser
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 16:55:59 -0700

Hi Corey,

On Thu 01 Apr 2010 18:39, Corey Thomasson <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm new to scheme/guile, but I got tired of writing web pages in
> php/html and started poking around my shared hosts /bin. Turns out
> guile 1.8 is installed, so I got to hacking.
>
> I couldn't find any json parsers that worked with guile, so I hacked
> on together.
>
> I don't know if it works with 1.9x, or how it could be improved
> (though I'm positive it could), or how unidiomatic it is, so any
> comment/advice/criticism/ridicule is welcome.
>
> http://github.com/cthom06/guile-json

Interesting stuff :) Some comments:

 * Indentation is non-standard; you should read
   http://mumble.net/~campbell/scheme/style.txt. It's a bit
   curmudgeonly, but correct.

 * Alists would be better for objects, I think, as it's a serializable
   data structure; obviously some form of serializable map would be
   better, if Guile had them ;)

 * Use #:use-module and #:export clauses in your define-module forms.

 * In fact a number of your let statements have bad syntax; apologies
   that guile 1.8 didn't catch this for you (it would have if the code
   were executed). 2.0 would have caught it at expansion time.

There are a few more things. If we were to include this in Guile 2.0
we'd probably use an expansion-time parser/lexer generator, perhaps via
PEG.

Happy hacking,

Andy
--