Re: searching book tips

From: Joel James Adamson
Subject: Re: searching book tips
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:38:45 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Thank you so much for these nice links.
>
>> We learn C# at school... and I'd like to write beautiful free software.
>
> I should have written: "We learn C# at school... but I'd like to write
> beautiful free software."

Right, well C# may or may not be a good language to learn programming
concepts, but I'm glad you're looking to use other languages to write
Free Software.  You /can/ write Free Software in C#, but you probably
shouldn't[1].

I am focusing now on C and Guile, although I may try C++ sometime soon.
I've studied numerous languages over a few years --- with no formal
training, take that as you wish --- and I think C and Scheme are the
best for my tasks and for satisfying other needs, like portability,
freedom, etc.

I would also suggest learning Emacs Lisp, as it is something you can
learn from and use to improve your workflow on a daily basis.

Books I recommend:
- The Little Schemer[2]
- The Practice of Programming[3]
- The Art of Unix Programming[4]: mainly for history and philosophy,
less so for actual code

Joel

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.fsf.org/news/dont-depend-on-mono