Re: Updating GNU Serveez for Guile 2.0

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Updating GNU Serveez for Guile 2.0
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 06:28:39 -0800 (PST)

> From:Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>

>    So perhaps parts of the Serveez spirit could conquer Guile core?  :-)
>    Thoughts?

I've been playing in own sandbox for a while.  I've lost touch with what
guile-core and guile-www provide.  But, I agree that some of those POSIX-style
APIs are klunky.

(I hesitated at announcing the project because I felt bad about not instead
focusing my effort on using (web ...) and guile-www.  But it did come out
rather nice, I think.)

> I don't think this is a good idea, for the same reason i don't think
> (web ...)
> modules are a good idea; it centralizes non-language implementation stuff into
> the language implementation.

I weakly agree with this statement.  But I think that if a language doesn't
have
a LAMP-like stack, it is missing an opportunity to be useful.  So I somewhat
agree web stuff doesn't need to be *in* the language but it certainly needs to
be *nearby* the language (whatever that means).

OTOH, pure scheme scripts don't take up a lot of space.

> Moreover, Guile is LGPL while the stuff outside is GPL, which is a stronger
> protection for the user.  Every time GPL is relaxed to LGPL, i consider that
> to be a step backward.

This is a valid point.  Serveez is GPL 2+.

Thanks,

Mike