Re: Modules

From: Jon Wilson
Subject: Re: Modules
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:43:12 -0500

On 01/29/2011 06:35 PM, Neil Jerram wrote:
> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I would also mention the approach from the skeleton package, which you
>> can fetch from http://wingolog.org/git/skeleton.git.  `autoreconf -vif',
>> `./configure', and `make'.  It has a toplevel `env' script, similar to
>> other environment scripts needed for other languages that tweak
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Thanks.  It seems a shame, and less portable, for us to rely on shell
> script wrappers.  But given that we're talking about uninstalled stuff,
> and that it seems extremely unlikely for a development machine not to
> have a decent shell, I guess that's actually OK.
>
>       Neil

Hi all,
I don't post to this list very often, since I'm not using guile much
these days.  I use python by necessity (necessity=that or C++) for work.

My work, however, involves principally writing and running single-use
code for physics analyses.  Installing this code would simply not make
any sense.  Hence I use uninstalled code quite extensively, almost
exclusively.  This seems to work quite well in python, which further
seems to have unified package-internal references with uninstalled-code
references very neatly.  I can't comment on the security or reliability
implications of Guido's arrangement, however.

Just thought I'd weigh in with a use-case in the wild.
Regards,
Jon