Re: Build System?

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: Build System?
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:52:05 +0200

Bernardo Ezequiel Contreras <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>  Is there a build system for guile?
>  for instance, maven is the build system for java

Well, I think it's a stretch to say Maven is "the" build system for
Java.  Also, I seem to recall that maven is not "just" a build system,
but also takes over tasks that are traditionally associated with package
managers, not build systems, i.e. dependency managment between different
software entities ("packages"), package retrieval, etc.

For simple, pure Scheme programs or libararies, there is not much of a
need for a build system in the traditional (i.e. make(1) or Java ant)
sense.  However, package managment is still something very much called
for, and there's not yet a real solution for Guile yet, although I'm
working on something that aims to be package manager for Scheme[0].  So
it would be interesting if you could clarify what exactly you are
looking for.

[0] http://home.gna.org/dorodango/
--
Andreas Rottmann -- <http://rotty.yi.org/>