Re: Generating compiled scm (.go) files as part of LilyPond build

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Generating compiled scm (.go) files as part of LilyPond build
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 16:28:41 +0200

Hi Ian,

On Tue 19 Jul 2011 15:18, Ian Hulin <address@hidden> writes:

> It may boil down to a matter of taste, but I find double and triple
> extensions on a filename intrinsically nasty.  I've normally come across
> them before on Windows systems where a filename such as thing.htm.exe
> usually means there's malware or a trojan or suchlike on your system.
> See also comments below.

Consider it an opaque key into a cache.  We could change in the future
to default to the SHA1 of the whole path.  That does have some
advantages regarding flattening the directory hierarchy, resulting in
fewer stat operations.

> address@hidden:~/src/Guile/guile-2.0.2$ meta/guile -L $PWD

This will set XDG_CACHE_HOME=${top_builddir}/cache.

> The problem is knowing where the cache is. For Lilypond, we need to have
> a common root directory off of which we can hang the compiled files in
> scm/out.

Why do you care?  (Honest question.)

To me there are two cases:

 1) You compile the files yourself.  You either ensure that the .go
    files end up in the right places, or adjust
    GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH.

 2) You rely on autocompilation.  In this case there is no guarantee
    about where the files go, besides residing in the
    XDG_CACHE_DIR/guile.

Regards,

Andy
--