Re: debugging guile runtime

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: debugging guile runtime
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 23:07:35 +0200

Hi Cedric,

Let me first thank you for your patience!  It is excellent having
someone test the edges of Guile, and to stay around with us while we fix
them :-)

On Mon 29 Aug 2011 14:50, address@hidden writes:

> #1 ports are not thread safe (and any other thread safety issues) ;

In general I think this issue needs to be split up between issues with
port buffers and other issues; while it might be helpful to you to have
a tracker bug, it's not helpful to me to conflate things that require
different fixes.

So!  As you say, not thread-safe.  But can we fix it in 2.0?  I am not
sure.  We can add a mutex onto the end of scm_t_port.  But it seems that
ignoring ABI compatibility might allow us to focus on the solution more
easily.  What is your target?  How much are you willing to do yourself?

> #2 fork may freeze in some occurrence ;

I assume this is because of the port-table mutex bug that you posted
earlier?  We should be able to fix this with an atfork.

> #3 the use of select prevent the extended app to open more than 1024
>    files ;

I recall something about this; can you give a link to a bug?  If there
isn't one, can you file one?

> #4 fork does not close all open files.

This won't change in 2.0.  You can do something in an atfork, but... I'm
not sure this is the right thing.  The POSIX behavior was
well-considered, and we should be hesitant to change it without a good
reason.

> #5 new syntax definitions are not loaded by compiler

Hmm?

Cheers,

Andy
--