Adding guile as an optional package with autoconf

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Adding guile as an optional package with autoconf
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 21:04:50 -0400

Hi all.

I'd like to make Guile an optional (at build time) feature of my
software.  I'm using autoconf/automake of course.  This would follow all
the GNU standards, so if you specified --with-guile/--without-guile
those would be obeyed; without any option Guile would be included if it
was found and not included if it was not found, we could use pkg-config
or else use library/header arguments from the command line, etc.

I can figure this all out myself if necessary, but I was wondering if
anyone knows of an autoconfiscated package where this is already done I
could look at and grab ideas from.

Thanks!