Re: Aborting debugger prompt

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Aborting debugger prompt
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:43:48 +0200

Hi,

On Thu 13 Oct 2011 21:39, Tobias Gerdin <address@hidden> writes:

> When an error occurs and you are running under the REPL you are
> dropped into the debugger ("Entering a new prompt. .."). This is
> useful. But I am wondering if it is not possible to abort this prompt
> with a user-defined value? That is, to get hold of the continuation
> and applying it to some value so that the execution can continue from
> the point of the error.
>
> This would be convenient sometimes, and I guess this would be similar
> to the Common Lisp "restarts" concept.

Yes this would be useful.  In general you can't simply continue, as most
code that throws exceptions wouldn't work like that.  But you should be
able to ,return from any given frame on the stack.  You should also be
able to get a list of current restarts, and operate on them, as CL
does.  That would involve keeping a stack of restarts in a fluid,
somewhere in boot-9.

Patches are welcome :)

Andy
--