Re: Why 3 different evaluators?

From: rixed
Subject: Re: Why 3 different evaluators?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:17:08 +0100

-[ Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 10:31:31AM +0100, Andy Wingo ]----
> If I bootstrap Guile-X from Guile-Y, I have to make sure that Guile-X's
> code can load in Guile-Y -- not trivial -- and I have to trust the
> output of Guile-Y.

You have to make sure that the evaluator that's written in scheme
can be run by Guile-Y. This evaluator migh as well be written to
be runnable by many other scheme implementations, if you really do
not trust Guile :-)  This is how GHC is bootstrapped BTW, any
sufficiently standard haskell compiler can do it.

> If I bootstrap Guile-X from GCC, I have to trust GCC.

And the code for this C evaluator that's almost used nowhere thus
probably much less tested than the rest of Guile.

> You can use GUILE_FOR_BUILD if you want to speed things up.

That's nice, will try it.