Re: Why 3 different evaluators?

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Why 3 different evaluators?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:43:52 -0800 (PST)

> From: Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
> On Wed 16 Nov 2011 11:17, address@hidden writes:
>
>>>  If I bootstrap Guile-X from GCC, I have to trust GCC.
>>
>>  And the code for this C evaluator that's almost used nowhere thus
>>  probably much less tested than the rest of Guile.
>
> On the contrary, it is used to interpret the entire compiler, when
> compiling eval.go.  It runs on every system that builds Guile.  Also it
> is very simple, and uses the same algorithm as eval.scm.

I believe that you can still run the whole test suite on the C evaluator
by erasing all the .go files from the modules lib, setting auto compile off,
then running the check-guile script.  It does take a while to start up,
though, since it reads the psyntax file each time a new script starts.

Haven't tried it lately, but, it has worked on previous versions of 2.0.

-Mike