Re: bug#10147: HTTP "Expires" header should handle non-date values

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: bug#10147: HTTP "Expires" header should handle non-date values
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:35:24 -0500

On Wed 21 Dec 2011 23:28, Daniel Hartwig <address@hidden> writes:

> On 22 December 2011 10:51, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun 27 Nov 2011 05:39, Daniel Hartwig <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>>    HTTP/1.1 clients and caches MUST treat other invalid date formats,
>>>    especially including the value "0", as in the past (i.e., "already
>>>    expired").
>>
>> But, pragmatism may rule, here...
>
> ... especially given that players like Google are using "-1" ;-)

Yes, indeed.

>> ... Wouldn't it
>> be better to keep the expires header as a date?  Would any date in the
>> past work fine?
>
> That is what I initially considered.  I considered using a single,
> well defined value for date-in-the-past (Unix epoch).

I think I would prefer this.  It makes user code easier, and with more
of a chance of being correct.  I think that Mozilla at least used to use
the beginnning of the epoch as this date.

>> Would it be best to allow some special cases like "0" or "-1" instead?
>>

> Not sure precisely what you mean here.  Is it something like:
>
> (or (false-if-exception (parse-date str))
>     (and (memq str '("0" "-1")) str)
>     date-in-the-past)

More like:

  (if (member str '("0" "-1"))
      date-in-the-past
      (parse-date str))

Then we can wait and see -- if only these two values are out there, then
we are good, and we keep the "validating" characteristic of our date
parser.  Otherwise we can fall back to the false-if-exception dance if
someone submits a bug report.

WDYT?  Want to send another patch? :-)

Andy
--