Re: Guile support in GNU make

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Guile support in GNU make
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:26:00 -0500

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 23:42 +0100, Ludovic Courts wrote:
> It works as intended ;-) but hits a segfault fixed with this patch:

Doh!  I added a feature to make that allows you to define functions
separately (previously all functions had to be predefined in the static
table in functions.c) and moved the guile function code out of
function.c into guile.c for better encapsulation...

And introduced a bug.  Sigh.

Thanks for the catch.

> > I suppose one option would be to have #f translate to the string "#f"
> > and change the definition in make of "false" to be "either the empty
> > string OR the string #f".  Since "#" is a comment character in make it's
> > highly unlikely (although not impossible) someone would have that as a
> > valid value.
>
> It is possible to write valid GNU Make code that generates strings
> containing “#”?

Yes; make supports escaping comment characters:

        ~$ cat > /tmp/x1.mk
        FOO = \#
        all: ; @echo 'FOO = $(FOO)'

        ~$ make -f /tmp/x1.mk
        FOO = #

But my suspicion is that people would rarely use it due to annoyance
factors.

Thanks for testing this!