Re: Problem with modules in Guile 2.0

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Problem with modules in Guile 2.0
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:38:40 -0400

Gubinelli Massimiliano <address@hidden> writes:
>> Why not convert your scripts to use the standard Guile module syntax?
>
> TeXmacs is currently composed of 250 scheme files for \sim 60000 lines
> of scheme.

Fair enough.  I see no obstacle to adapting the TeXmacs module system to
work with Guile 2.  It's just a matter of finding the cleanest way to
implement it.

> It has a slightly customized module system and features contextual
> overloading of functions (a function can be redefined to act
> differently is some condition is met without modifying the module
> which implemented the base behaviour). We would like to preserve the
> current system as much as possible.

Can you provide some specific examples of this contextual overloading of
functions, so that I might understand this feature more clearly?
Pointers to relevant documentation would also be helpful.

> With the current svn you will not be able to build TeXmacs with Guile
> 2.0. If you are interested in that I will tell you how to do.

Please do.  I would like to try to build TeXmacs with Guile 2, so that I
may better help you with the transition to Guile 2.

     Thanks,
       Mark