Community service

From: avr
Subject: Community service
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:41:16 +0200

Hi,

those amongst you who might have looked for a webhost supporting
scheme might have stumbled upon www.ellyps.net before and saw the
ominous "SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION.PLEASE COME BACK LATER." sign.

This has now changed to "Tentatively beta".

Scheme is, of course, a fine language for just about anything, but
it's not as popular as it could be in some fields like web scripting.
Maybe this is mainly because setting it up isn't really trivial, and
documentation and tutorials are scarce and take some effort
to get working.

You might find it useful if you're a website programmer who'd like
to try something different from the inescapable php. Or if you're
a scheme hacker who'd like to put up a simple website for one thing
or another without fussing about too much.

I'm sure it's still far from perfect, so please don't rely on it for any
projects that are critical to you. But it might be useful and convenient
to some who were already looking for something like it, and are
familiar with the concepts.

Amongst the things it has to offer are:
*cgi guile
*editing/uploading over webdavs
*mysql
*the guile-web module

For any questions or comments feel free to mail me directly, or if they
are of general interest, onlist. But please note it's not a commercial
project, so please adjust expectations accordingly. It's just something
I found practical and extended it a little so it might be practical for
others too.

        friendly,
        Andreas