Re: I'm looking for a method of converting a string's character encoding

From: Daniel Krueger
Subject: Re: I'm looking for a method of converting a string's character encoding
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 20:29:22 +0200

Hi,

i think there shouldn't be any transcoding of guile's strings, as
strings are internal representation of characters, no matter how they
are encoded. So the only time when encoding matters is when it passes
it's `internal boundarys', i mean if you write the string to a port or
read from a port or pass it as a string to a foreign library. For the
ports all transcoding is available, and as said, the real
representation of guile strings internally is as utf8, which can't be
changed. The only additional thing i forgot about are bytevectors, if
you convert a string to an explicit representation, but afaik there
you also can give the encoding to use.

Am I wrong?

- Daniel