Re: I'm looking for a method of converting a string's character encoding

From: Daniel Hartwig
Subject: Re: I'm looking for a method of converting a string's character encoding
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 11:57:32 +0800

On 28 April 2012 05:13, Sunjoong Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

> Background;
> #:decode-body? keyword of http-get seems not to work properly; I should
> set #:decode-body? to false value and decode the contents body string
> manually. If a web page's charset be utf-8, there be no problem. If not, a
> problem occurs. decode-response-body of (web client) call decode-string with
> web page's charset. But real charset of bytevector is iso-8859-1, not web
> page's charset. If so, you should not let http-get use decode-response-body.

Hello

It seems you later made some headway on this, but just a note to clarify:

Bytevectors are raw data, they do not have an encoding.  Web ports are
set to ISO-8859-1 as this is an 8-bit encoding that can be read as raw
data.  The output of http-get with '#:decode-body #f' *should* be a
bytevector of exactly the bytes sent by the server.

This is mentioned in the comments for read-request:

 > (use-modules (web request))
 > ,d read-request
 Read an HTTP request from @var{port}, optionally attaching the given
 metadata, @var{meta}.

 As a side effect, sets the encoding on @var{port} to
 ISO-8859-1 (latin-1), so that reading one character reads one byte.  See
 the discussion of character sets in "HTTP Requests" in the manual, for
 more information.

Can you provide us with a couple of sites where http-get or
decode-string does not work properly?  Or was something else at play
here?  This would help to investigate what the issue is.  (I am lazy
today to find some, I think you must know of a few :-)

> After getting response-body with bytevector form, you should decode it with
> "iso-8859-1" like decode-string's manner. Then you'll get web page's
> contents body string; it's charset is what you see in response header.

Note that ISO-8859-1 does not cover much of Unicode so decoding the
bytevector as that will lose much data.

Regards