Cannot make guile compile with libunistring :(

From: Mehmet Belgin
Subject: Cannot make guile compile with libunistring :(
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 11:09:38 -0400

Hello all,

I cannot have guile recognize the libunistring library at the configure step. I
tried with "--with-libunistring-prefix=/path/to/libunistring/0.9.3/gcc-4.4.6"
and also "--with-libunistring-prefix=/path/to/libunistring/0.9.3/gcc-4.4.6/lib"
to no avail. This path is also in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I am always getting:

    configure: error: GNU libunistring is required, please install it.

config.log shows:

    configure:14587: checking for libunistring
    configure:14609: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c  -lunistring >&5
    conftest.c:117:21: error: uniconv.h: No such file or directory
    configure:14609: $? = 1

Looks like the config script does not check DIR/include and DIR/lib correctly
as documented by the configure help. I can solve this with an ugly modification
in the configure script but I would rather not.

I will appreciate any suggestions, and thanks in advance!

-Mehmet