Re: guildhall packages

From: Ian Price
Subject: Re: guildhall packages
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:56:25 +0100

address@hidden (Ludovic Court$(D+2(Bs) writes:

> Woow, excellent work!  FWIW, I was able to $B!H(Bguild update$B!I(B,
> $B!H(Bguild show$B!I(B,
> and $B!H(Bguild install pfds$B!I(B.
Great
>> As mentioned previously, experimentation into a user upload facility is
>> ongoing, but if you want a library packaged/included shoot me a mail
>> (pure scheme only at the moment, hopefully scheme & c / elisp /
>> ecmascript / brainfuck soon)
>
> Nice.  Any plan for Scheme & C?  (Guix?  hint, hint. ;-))
Scheme & C is obviously a huge part of guile, and so it's important that
gets done. There is some support for "installation hooks" that would be
used for this, though there is no documentation at present. I will try
and get some examples prepared for it.

> What about test suites, docs, and non trivial build systems in general?

As for documentation, it's the same deal (almost). Guildhall currently
recognises four "categories" of file. libraries, programs[1],
documentation, and man, and each of these gets stored in a different
place in the users .local[0] directory corresponding to normal unix
conventions.

libraries in ~/.local/share/guile/site/2.0
programs  in ~/.local/share/guildhall/2.0/$name/programs [2]
documentation in ~/.local/share/doc/guildhall/2.0/$name
man in prefix/share/man/man-$section/

Some files are automatically picked up as documenation, and placed in
the appropriate directory: README, COPYING, NEWS, etc.

For more complicated documentation, building info pages etc, I think you
would need to create an installation hook for this ATM, but for some
common formats it would be a useful feature to add to guildhall itself.

0. the prefix is configurable, but this will do for expository purposes
1. guildhall seems to make some sort of a distinction between "programs"
and "executables", but I'm not sure what the reasoning is for this.
2. executables would go in ~/.local/share/guildhall/2.0/$name/bin

--
Ian Price -- shift-reset.com

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"