Re: Typed Guile?

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Typed Guile?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 23:11:50 -0400

Hello,

Here are a few random thoughts: I had a project a little while ago to
try to get some of the benefit of static typing in Guile. It never
went very far, but actually some of the same machinery is coming to
the surface in the compiler anyway. I think it could be taken farther,
to the point that Guile really would have the benefits of a
statically-typed language.

However, what's in Guile right now is not that, and it might take some
work to get it there. So no, Guile is not statically typed right now.

Performance is another interesting question. Of the things you named,
only Guile doesn't compile to native code (yet), so that's going to be
a performance hit. However, performance is relative. Since you didn't
list C or Fortran as choices, you don't care about having extreme
control over what your machine is doing; I don't know enough about
your goals to know whether Guile will give you the performance you
want. But Guile can be extended in C, so you have the option to go as
fast as you want.

That's the best I can do without knowing more about your library.

Thanks,
Noah Lavine