A [serious] problem with module integration

From: Panicz Maciej Godek
Subject: A [serious] problem with module integration
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 14:54:50 +0100

Hi,
I've been making some tiny changes in the way my application
uses modules. Previously I was including the scheme code right
into the C binary. This wasn't particularly elegant sollution, as it
didn't allow the code to be compiled, so I decided that I use guile
modules wherever I can.
And now I have a problem: the modules that I wrote make use
of the symbols defined by my application (using scm_c_define...),
but they are unavailable outside my application, i.e. for external
modules.

The result is that the modules don't work, because certain symbols
are undefined that are needed to build the necessary definitions.

If I'd taken a different approach, e.g. if I'd decided to use shared
libraries instead of having the main application call scm_with_guile,
the solution would be easy -- I could just define the wrappers around
the procedures exported by the library.

But now I'm in the big trouble.

Is there any way for the symbols introduced using scm_c_define...
to become available for external modules (that are meant to be
used within the application that I create)? I've tried creating
an empty module that includes the symbols exported by my app,
and nothing else, but it doesn't seem to help.

Perhaps there's some other idea that you could suggest?