Re: IXIN 1.0 available

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: IXIN 1.0 available
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 18:59:41 +0100

() address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
() Thu, 29 Nov 2012 16:34:51 +0100

   I think it would be nice to discuss the goals of IXIN, and detail its
   current status on bug-texinfo and gnu-system-discuss, as people have
   shown interest in designing an Info replacement.

Good idea.  I'll post something to the latter shortly.

   >   Guile 2 lovers, please see in particular a1-nf3-guile2.

   Here’s what I did in ~1.5 minute:

   [debugging session]

   Then I look at line 15, and see &copyright;.  So, I go to
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XML_and_HTML_character_entity_references
   and see that there’s no predefined ‘copyright’ entity in XML (and the
   one in HTML is called ‘copy’.)  Same for “ and probably others.

Right.  Those are defined in the texinfo DTD.  What a1-nf3-mixp does,
that i don't know how to arrange for a1-nf3-guile2, is to recognize the
"http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/dtd/4.13/texinfo.dtd"; in the
‘DOCTYPE’ declaration, find the associated DTD via map file zomg and
process it, to finally arrive at:

<!ENTITY copyright  "&#xa9;">

(excerpt from /usr/share/texinfo/texinfo.dtd:391).  IOW, ‘xml->sxml’ is
too abstracted from the details; it's not the right tool for the job.
Unfortunately, what is the right tool and how to use it i could not find
in my admittedly brief stroll through the SXML portions of the Guile
2.0.6 manual.  The resolution of this is to improve the documentation so
that non-prescient programmers like me can figure out how to specify
such a mapping (presuming that the underlying system is capable of
processing the DTD, etc).  Maybe that presumption is too much, even.
Who knows?

   And, as Guile 2 lovers know, the good thing is that you can instead
   use the Unicode © and “ signs directly in the XML file.  Neat, no?
   :-)

Yes, but unfortunately only tangential to the problem at hand, which
lies not w/ the user, or the producer of data, but w/ the programmer
and the opaque programming environment (to put it kindly).

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen ..................................... GPG key: 4C807502
.                  NB: ttn at glug dot org is not me                   .