Re: GNU Guile community in google+

From: zx spectrumgomas
Subject: Re: GNU Guile community in google+
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:55:12 +0100

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Andy Wingo <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm catching up with mail and thought you might be interested in my
> thoughts.  They're just my thoughts, the thoughts of one Guile hacker,
> and I don't represent Guile with them -- so please do make up your own
> minds.
>
> I basically agree with Ludo and Mark that proprietary, centralized
> social networks are bad for society, and are dangerous because they are
> attractive.
>
> I agree with Zx that there are many ways that Guile could be better as a
> community -- especially among new and younger Guilers, many of whom have
> "come of age" in an internet sense on social networks.
>
> I think that Guile probably could engage with users who are already on
> proprietary social networks, in a kind of announcement-oriented way, but
> I agree that we as a project shouldn't try to build a community there.
> Perhaps we could have someone manage "official" accounts for Guile on
> these services and link them up to re-post things from our news feed.
>
> If there are community needs that are not being met right now, we should
> try to identify them and find solutions.  Is a blog aggregator the
> thing, or is it something else?  I liked the idea of a Guile subreddit,
> though I don't know if it could get enough interest.
>
> Is there something that we need to build into gnu.org somehow?
>
> Whatever we do, I think we should try to point people to the "primary"
> vehicles of discussion: the mailing lists and the IRC channel.
>
> Again, these are just opinions of one guy, take them as you will :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andy
> --
> http://wingolog.org/

I agree entirely with your words.

I wish engage newbie guilers (as me) who are already on proprietary
social networks and I, too, think best solution is that someone manage
accounts for Guile on these services and link them up to repost
things. I think that repost things should be from a blog aggregator
that should be created in www.gnu.org/software/guile/community.html .

Conversations and questions say explicitly that must be in official
Guile mailing lists (or subreddit?)

As I said previously I created google+ community because I thought
that it was the only unpretentious way for a noob. I agree that it is
best solution as explained above.

In summary, I think that some guile maintainer would have to create
the blog aggregator and accounts should be created in identi.ca
(already done), twitter (occupied account, it should be "GNU Guile
begginers"), google+ and subreddit GNU Guile (I don't know but there
is strong schemers community www.reddit.com/r/scheme (Read there
Scheme implementations: /r/Racket only) .

If someone expert Guiler wants to do this work it's perfect. If nobody
wants to waste time then I can open accounts (passwords be sent to
Guile maintainer) and manage it because I only would have to put links
of blog agreggator and if some newbie guiler asks something I only
would have to say: "Conversations and questions in official mailing
lists, please" and for this I don't need MIT PhD. Even as a newbie
forty years old I think I can do it.