Re: guile 2.0.7 build not recognising readline library

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: guile 2.0.7 build not recognising readline library
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 04:44:51 -0500

Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:
> Building guile 2.0.7 under Linux Mint 14 (essentially Ubuntu 12.10) I
> am unable to see how to get readline built into the system.
>
> The configure script reports:
>
>     configure: WARNING: *** GNU Readline is too old on your system.
>     configure: WARNING: *** You need readline version 2.1 or later.
>

> This despite checking that readline is quite up to date on the system
> (version 6.2).
>
> Can anybody advise?

This is a shot in the dark, but do you have the 'libreadline-dev'
package installed?  Remember that when building packages from source
that require a library, you generally need the '-dev' package of that
library.

More generally, I'd recommend 'apt-get build-dep guile-2.0', which will
install all the build-dependencies for the guile-2.0 package that's
already in Ubuntu 12.10.

      Mark