Re: Guile OpenGL bindings

From: Daniel Hartwig
Subject: Re: Guile OpenGL bindings
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 21:29:36 +0800

On 1 February 2013 21:02, Javier Sancho <address@hidden> wrote:
> Aleix Conchillo is also working with OpenGL and encountered a problem
> with glutInit and char**. You can see it at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2012-07/msg00074.html

Mark's suggestion is spot on, even points out one issue with memory
that I have missed.

It seems that Aleix later moved to a C binding, though I am confident
this can be avoided (c.f. cl-opengl).  Anyway, this function is
working fine in the bindings I have prepared (sans the memory issue).

GLUT bindings cover all functions, but missing constants.  These to
follow shortly.

Andy's work on the sxml side has the GL bindings *almost* running as
well.  I'll look to finish those in the next few days if someone
doesn't beat me to it.

> Someone mentioned performance issues when using FFI, too.

For modern GL programming without glBegin/End, Vertex/Color/Normal,
etc. the performance impact of FFI should be negligable.  There are
few GL calls compared to the volume of data that is passed.

The real critical part will be how the user manipulates their vertex
data, if this is done frequently on the scheme side.  Mapping (typed)
bytevectors, or srfi-4 to gl arrays will help with that, and avoiding
the implicit type conversions that some other bindings perform.

> Well, I can't promise anything, but yes, I'm very interested in this project.

Nice.