Re: libguilereadline load

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: libguilereadline load
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 18:30:31 +0100

Dmitry Roshchin <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Tuesday 22 January 2013 23:09:51 Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Dmitry Roshchin <address@hidden> skribis:
>> > Is it normal, that guile tries to load "libguilereadline-v-18.so" instead
>> > of "libguilereadline-v-18.so.18"? Guile  version - 2.0.7.
>>
>> You normally have both, as well as libguilereadline-v-18.la, no?
>>
>> Guile uses ltdl for dynamic loading (info "(libtool) Using libltdl").
>> The rule is to first search for .la files.  The .la file tells ltdl that
>> the real library is the .so.18 file, which ltdl then loads.
>>
>> When the .la file is missing, ltdl tries the .so file instead (not the
>> .so.18 file).
>>

> openSUSE packaging policy requires to remove .la files. And .so file is
> contained in guile-devel package. So  it doesn't work by default.

I see.  The problem is that Guile has no way of guessing the .18
extension (it’s a platform-specific extension computed by libtool.)

Debian has a similar policy IIRC, but they ship the .so file as part of
the ‘guile-2.0-libs’ package, perhaps as an exception:

  http://packages.debian.org/sid/hurd-i386/guile-2.0-libs/filelist

Perhaps you could suggest that openSUSE do the same?

Ludo’.