Re: statically linking in srfi modules

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: statically linking in srfi modules
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:01:36 -0500

Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 12:03 -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>>
>> Can you find out where the 'regcomp' function is?

> Well, I tracked back from the GNU/LilyPond build system - it seems to
> originate in glibc, but in the GNU/LilyPond build system it has been
> extracted out as a separate library.
> http://lilypond.org/download/gub-sources/regex-2.3.90-1.tar.bz2
>
> By building this with --disable-shared I have obtained a library which
> links to guile and ice-9/regex is now working inside Denemo.

Excellent!

> Thank you very much for your help. I don't know if there is anything
> that it would be good to do upstream as a result of this epic little
> voyage ...

Glad to help, and thanks for letting us know how it went.

I guess the main thing for us to do upstream is to ensure that
--disable-shared works properly without such workarounds.  Fortunately
this is mostly not an issue in Guile 2, because the SRFI-1 and SRFI-60
libraries have been moved into the core.  The only remaining
dynamically-loaded extension bundled with Guile 2 is for readline.
It would be good to fix that at some point.

    Regards,
      Mark