Re: guile-xcb

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guile-xcb
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 22:26:43 +0100

address@hidden skribis:

>> Woow, looks fun!  Do you have example applications around that we could
>> play with?
>>

> Not yet. It's still a ways away from a working X application. But
> hopefully in the relatively near future I'll have something
> working. Once I finish the compiler part I need to write wrapper methods
> to actually send data to/from the X server.

OK, we’ll wait for status updates then.  ;-)

BTW, did you consider using Scheme and macros instead of a compiler
front-end?  It may be easier to maintain in the long term.

>> Wouldn’t SRFI-60 or Guile’s own operations (info "(guile) Bitwise
>> Operations") do the job?
>>

> With some care, I think they would. I'll have to see if XCB ever expects
> << to shift 1s off the end of an integer, since (ash n) wouldn't do
> that.
>
> And also, to be really pedantic, logcount behaves differently from XCB's
> (otherwise equivalent) popcount when you give it negative numbers... but
> popcount takes an unsigned integer as its argument, so nobody ought to
> be using it for negative numbers anyway.

I see.  Anyway, you could implement that in Scheme as well.  It’ll
certainly be slower than in C, but you could check if it’s a problem in
practice.

Thanks,
Ludo’.