Re: More Guile 1.8 code failing in 2.x

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: More Guile 1.8 code failing in 2.x
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:22:51 +0000

On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 08:19 -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > We have one more construct being refused as we upgrade to guile 2.0 in
> > GNU/Denemo
> >
> > (if (not (defined? 'ToggleTripleting::InsideTriplet))
> >     (define ToggleTripleting::InsideTriplet #t))
> >
> > It is intended to set up a flag which toggles between true and false on
> > each call. If already set up, the flag is not altered.
> >
> > Apparently (I haven't been able to check) Guile 2.0  gives an error.
> >
> > #f definition in expression context, where definitions are not
> > allowed, ((line . 2) (column . 4) (filename . #f)) (define
> > ToggleTripleting::InsideTriplet #t) #f)
> >
> > Can anyone suggest what could replace that? I would prefer to to replace
> > it with something that has the same semantics, rather than setting up
> > some alternative method of handling the situation - registering all such
> > variables on program startup, or some such - as at the moment this code
> > only evaluated if used and doesn't require any mechanism to get
> > initialized, other than this construct.
> >
> > Richard Shann
> >

> Hi Richard,
>
> You can probably just replace your code with
>
> (define-once ToggleTripleting::InsideTriplet #t)

Thanks for this - it seems define-once is not defined in guile 1.8
however, so while some systems only have guile 2.0 (Fedora) and others
only have guile 1.8 (Debian stable) I would need something more.
I wonder if I can test if define-once is defined and if not evaluate a
string which has the dis-allowed syntax in it?

(if (defined? 'define-once)
        (define-once ToggleTripleting::InsideTriplet #t)
        (eval-string "(if (not (defined? 'ToggleTripleting::InsideTriplet))
                        (define ToggleTripleting::InsideTriplet #t))"))

or will the guile 2.0 compiler try and compile the string being passed to
eval-string?

Richard