Re: Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 10:52:48 +0800

On Mon, 2013-03-25 at 02:13 +0000, Ian Price wrote:
> "Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Rather than byte-code to byte-code translation, I was rather thinking of
> > either:
> >
> >   1. Tweaking zlc to be capable of compiling guile scheme directly to Lua
> > (and
> >      then easily from there to Lua bytecodes); or
> >   2. Running Zile with the Guile implementation of Lua, and getting Guile as
> >      an extension language for free.
> >
> > The first, I can do, though it's a long time since I paid attention to
> > Guile,
> > so I'd need guidance and/or test-cases from someone familiar with it to make
> > sure my implementation would be compatible with canonical Guile Scheme.
>
> Rather than going for Scheme integration, it'd be better to target
> tree-il, which is the level below it.
>
> > The second, I was asking about because I was initially drawn to Guile during
> > the era when it was being touted as a good compiler target platform to
> > become
> > a runtime for code written in any language and then translated to Guile
> > Scheme
> > before execution.  But, my impression is that this work stalled and/or
> > failed?
>
> I'd say stalled, rather than failed.  We haven't heard from the
> "maintainer" for two years now, and I've been periodically asking around
> for people to pick it up, but without any luck.  The intersection of
> people interested in Guile and Lua is pretty small, it seems.

Well, as the man who claimed to take up guile-lua, I shamed. :-(
Though we have guile-lua, it can't work successfully.
The problem of current guile-lua is that the original author didn't use
Guile inner LALR which ludo suggested to me, but a manual parser. So
it's a little hard for me to read & learn them all then fix the bug in a
short time.
Besides, I'm trying our brand new PEG, which is very cool.
And the dilemma comes to me: now that original guile-lua can't work, and
Guile suggest LALR/PEG to handle front-end, should I rewrite guile-lua?
Even keep it was, I have to spend more time to learn the original code,
which seems no efficient.

However, lua-bytecode->guile-bytecode or lua-ast->guile-tree-il maybe
another way to go, but no my aim.